Friday, July 11, 2008

Ruthian (Day 167)

Well first off hello PSU! Mr. Sampsell posted the story and you can read it here.

Next order of business; Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Pirates who took 2 of 3 from the New York Yankees in Pittsburgh this year. Since 1960 they have only played 9 times with the Yankees winning 7 of those 9. All 6 in Yankee Stadium (I was there for 1 of the losses in 2005) and 1 in PNC Park. Three Rivers Stadium was built in 1970 and razed in 2000 and the Yankees near caught even a wift of it. Anyway we won the 1960s World Series in 7 games making up for the loss to the Yankees in the 1927 World Series in which Babe Ruth and murderer’s row swept the Buccos in 4 games. I bring all of this up because last night my mother went and saw the Bronx Bombers lose to the Pirates with me doing the jumbotron intro to the game. I have yet to talk to her but am anxious to find out how it went.

Pics from my 2005 trip with the guys. We followed the Pirates straight to Boston that night for the weekend series at Fenway.











On top of all of this for those who do not know; Yankee stadium is being replaced by another BILLION dollar new Yankee Stadium. AND THEN THEY ARE GOING TO TEAR IT DOWN. The House that Ruth built is going to be torn down for a new one!? George Steinbrenner is an idiot but he does own the team and got some yahoos in NYC to go along with the idea so…. I went twice and got to see the Pirates play there once so I guess I am happy. Never made it Monument Park though… Babe Ruth will live in the hearts and minds of Americans as long as America carries on. The reason for this rant is because the All Star game is there Tuesday and I plan on waking up to watch it as there will be a TON of current and former All Stars and Hall of Famers there to say goodbye. I am not a Yankees fan but Babe Ruth hit the first home run there on April 18, 1923 (the day it opened) and they won theif first World Series that year as well. In my view I will be rooting for Yankee Stadium to go out the way it came in: a winner.

O yeah Afghanistan… I am still here but just like when I first got here my brain and heart have already started making their way back to Germany. I am shooting one more story and then doing paperwork to leave next week. I did my last morning show today and am ready for my day off tomorrow. That’s it work wise. I feel once I get back safe that this deployment will have been a Ruthian accomplishment personally for me. I am still not sure if I would do another one of these but am not even worrying about that now.

I will say I have been very on edge and nervous lately. Not sure why. Although I watched part of a phenomenal documentary on the Bilderberg Group and that got me all worked up. I should not be looking at that kind of stuff while here. It requires in depth analysis and processing for which my brain is not in shape to handle right now. Not sure how much of it I believe but some of it is just interesting history but if you are in the mood to see something VERY EDUCATING: End Game online or for order on DVD.

I am looking forward to getting home but worried we are going to attack Iran. Iran says they do not want war, Israel says they do not want war, and we (ADM Mullen) say a war with them is not good for anybody but all of the chess pieces are being moved into place…

I hope all is well with all of you and as always thanks for reading my blog.

3 comments:

mama said...

Hi Rob
First I just want to say how overwhelmed I feel today for two reasons...one, Mr Sampsell's article about you in the PSU Alimuni paper ( what a nice article) ....Thank you MrSampsell.
Second....seeing you on that big screen at the ballgame yesterday was so unbelieveable for me being your Mom. I screamed out to the crowd saying thats my son thats my son and everyone around me clapped and was so proud of you. You looked great and spoke so well....it was a moment in time I will never forget and I was so glad God gave me the chance to be there ( espially since I really was not suppose to be there and it was as if he made all the pieces go into place to make me go.) And by the way we won by 4 not 3....Its was a beautiful night and a wonderful memory....great baseball.

I love you Rob

mom x0x0x0x0

mama said...

Hi again ....great pic s ...love todays blog....good job.

mama

mama said...

Hey Rob,

Aunt Arlene just called me....she was so excited....he began to tell me that her Dad love s the Yankess and in his late 80 sum yrs ( he may be 90 now )his great grand sons Adam, Josh, and Jake took him to see the rained out Yankees's game last Thursday well there you where on the big screen.....they were so excited to see you...it was a nice surprize for all of us. Thought you would like hearing that (GOOD) news from back home.

Love you Mom (whats the count down in days now left ? )