Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kerr ga stan (Pittsburghese pronunciation) Day 179

Well I have been here over a day and already feel better than while at Bagram.


I have realized that the Army’s influence over Bagram is terrible and to some extent like a prison. Up here ay Manas Air Base the Air Force runs it and you are allowed 2 beers a day, they have Playstation 3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo Wii on nice TVs for use along with tons of movies and daily activities. There are trees, grass, fresh air, and a nice breeze at night. The Air Force folks doing typically 4 months here are on easy street. I would love to deploy here as a broadcaster.

The people are quite unique. Some look Asian, while other mongolish, and yet others much like you would find in Mother Russia. This is a former USSR state so it is no surprise that they speak Russian. The guys that got me onto their computer sell it for $2.50 an hour and are not very hospitable. Then again the whole Cold War thing, and us being here now may have something to do with it. The women on the other hand are very nice and some are extremely attractive. I still think Russians are hard people, harder than Germans even. Either way its nice to get a little break here as I was only here about 14 hours overnight on my way in in January. It was like 20 degrees below 0 then as this place is the coldest I have ever been.

I had some issues getting out of Bagram on time but finally left a few days ago. The pilot took off in a combat mode as he went straight up and then leveled her off quickly. 4 Air Force on a plane with over 150 Army from the same unit and they all sit there asking me what the hell the pilot is doing. I did not enjoy my stomach feeling like it was in my head but it was a nice way to screw with the Army on their way out. The Army unit I refer to is the one who lost those soldiers 3 weeks ago. They are an infantry unit and a rough bunch. They were loud as hell last night before finally leaving the big tent we sleep in.

Of course I had my 2 allotted beers last night. I tried the Russian number 7 which was similar to a German Pils and then the dark number 8 which was very thick and reminded me of a Belgian brew. I slept for like 4 hours woke up because of the soldiers being loud and then slept for like 12 hours after finally falling asleep around 2:30. We are 1.5 hours ahead of Afghanistan time, 4 hours ahead of German time, and 10 hours ahead of my birth given and natural East coast time.

I was able to hand in all of my Army gear form Ft. Dix so I am traveling lite right now. I will be sure to put a post in once I get back to Germany. It has been fun and I will try to write a final long post about the deployment. As always thanks for reading and have a great day.

No comments: